In the following three minute sound narratives, students capture amazing true stories from, and about, the adults in their lives. Humor, pain and human endurance color these stories into authentic journeys of life, death and love. Listen and, we promise, you will laugh, cry, wince, or saw “awwww.”
This semester long project has been a collaboration of students’ multimedia and English classes. This project began with students conducting a 45 minute interviews with an adult of their choosing. Then, as part of the process, students transcribed these 45 minute interviews so they could have the transcription for editing. Next, they edited their sound work into a seven minute story. Finally, and after many rounds of critiques, their work became three minutes. Through this process, students learned to carefully craft a story.
We hope you enjoy their work.
-Margaret Noble, Media Media Instructor
-Rachel Nichols, English teacher
1. Man on Fire by Shai Simpson and Siara Loyd
A fireman’s first experiences.
2. Signs of Love by Rachael Dickey and Stephenie Barria
A courtship with unexpected communication issues.
3. The Great Escape by Noah Schlottman and Shoshannah Michaelsen
3 strangers come together in juvenile hall.
4. Powerless by Brandy Bussell and Izsayana Arguelles-Ruvalcaba
Darkness in a little girl’s life.
–> Listen Here
5. The First Environmentalist by Jon Silva
Scandal over water conservation the 1960s.
6. Trapped Ethics by Spencer Scott and Carli Anderson
The perils of fur trapping.
7. Civil Justice by Tomas Pena and James Armenta
High speed chase scene.
8. War Zone by Valeh Aboonour and Nia Gamboa
A family’s journey through two wars.
9. 11-22 by Brandi Coley and Tristan Macaraeg
How long will a groom wait?
10. 1720 by Brenden Ramos and Pascal Reyes
Coping with a life-altering secret.
11. Malaysian Mishap by Alex Aguilar and Christian Cota
Third world health care?
12. Meant to Be by Erica Snider and Alex Ford
A tale of dreams and coming of of age.
13. Domingos by Marla Villamar and Alvaro Chagollan
A story of lost love.
14. Mirrored Pain by Anna-Lisa Madruga and Claire-Anne Brand
A mother’s journey with her child’s pain.
15. Baby Story by Anapaula Garciabueno and Kadija Grant
Life altering choices.
16. Nascent by Louis Tabalon and Ally Moder
A story of coming out.
17. Lonely Boy by David Resendiz and Stephanie Sanchez
A boy’s struggle growing up alone on the streets.
18. Ducktape Ninja by Adam Sutherlin and Austin Clapp
Slim pickings at this college.
19. Loss and Courage by Jacqueline Lira and Evanglyn Bighames
A painful journey to strength.
20. Differences by Maleja Cokes and Iberia Dunning
Things have changed.
21. Childhood to Children by Alex Machado and Katya Beatty
Memoirs from Hawaii.
22. Generations of Flight by Miriam Mwanga and Megan Bailey
A family’s long history with planes.
23. Hitchhiking by Morgan Barret and Robin Siref
Freedom on the road.
24. Meeting Mother by Shaelyn Washburn